When I was in Red Bank, NJ the other weekend visiting my college roommate our first stop was the Karma Cafe (shocking). After spending 5+ hours in the car I was ready for some fuel. While they had a beautiful selection of raw food I knew after traveling I needed some wholesome cooked food to help ground me and prevent an upset stomach. When I saw their love bowl, brown rice with sautéed collards, tempeh and a Thai coconut sauce, I needn’t look any further. Every bite was better than the last. I was officially on the hunt to create my own love bowl.
This is for the days when you want to wrap your hands around some fine china and dig into something wholesome, sweet and unctuous.
My at home love bowl included red quinoa, roasted sweet potatoes, tempeh and sautéed kale. I made the recipe up as I went so I’ll mock it for you. Half the fun of the love bowl is deciding what foods you (and your body) love and making it into a warm bowl of goodness.
If you want to save yourself time and hassle cook quinoa (according to package) ahead of time. You can also boil and marinate Tempeh a few hours prior to grilling.
1. Heat the oven to 400 Degrees and Boil a Pot of water.
2. Chop Sweet Potatoes and drizzle with cinnamon, olive oil, sea salt and pepper. Place in the over for 25 minutes. Turning about halfway through.
3. Cut tempeh into thin triangles and place in the boiling water for ten minutes (this helps to absorb marinade)
4. Create marinade by blending white wine, olive oil, soy sauce, Dijon mustard, a few pinches of pepper and salt in a dish. Once tempeh is done boiling use tongs to place right into marinade. Let sit for a bit, rotating occasionally.
5. Meanwhile heat skillet to medium heat with ghee, olive oil or coconut oil. Grill tempeh evenly on both sides (about 4 minutes each), spooning marinade onto it a few times.
6. In another pan, steam kale for 8-10 minutes. Once steamed toss with light olive oil, S+ P.
7. Once all ingredients are done, blend together into a love bowl. Top with remaining marinade and coconut chips if you dare.